all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed My BuiltStrong Minimalist Experience!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Nate, thanks for posting these updates! I'm running BSM for the first run through now and it gets me fired up to go train.

Congratulations on the great results so far and best of luck with the third time through!

Awes
Nate, thanks for posting these updates! I'm running BSM for the first run through now and it gets me fired up to go train.

Congratulations on the great results so far and best of luck with the third time through!
Awesome!!!

Keep me posted on your progress.

I also finished my first run through BTS3 and thought I might add my experience here.
To prepare for this program I felt I needed to put in some work as I hadn't touched a weight in a while and I felt it would be easier for some exercises to just change weights rather than work in different calisthenic progressions. So preceding BTS3 I went through 4 weeks of giant 3.0 with a 28kg bell. I also had not done weighted pullups so after my 20 min of clean and press I did 10 min of pull-ups using the 5,4,3,2,1 rep scheme. I also practiced GTG with the pistol squat and while I still squat with a 5lb plate under my heel due to an ankle injury I felt I was ready to add weight and get to work on BTS3.

Here are the before and afters.
Weight: 175lbs to 181lbs
Shoulders: 46.5 to 47.4
Chest 39 to 41
Bi's 15 to 15
Mid Thigh 22 to 22
Forearms 13.75 to 13.75 goose necked
Hips 39.5 to 40

Here are my TRMs
28kg kb press from 6 to 7
Pistol Squat with 8kg 5 to 7
Pullups on rings wit 25lbs stayed the same at 6

The program delivered a bit of hypertrophy and given I didn't gain any size in my waist and only a little in my hips so I suppose some of that was muscle. My diet was not great and there were many days that I overindulged, but on the opposite side, there were days that I hiked 3-4 hours in the mountains or took a long bike ride and ate considerably less. No supplements, I did not concern myself with macros either and I naturally eat way less protein than is recommended. Most days I worked out for 30-45 minutes.

I feel the program worked as advertised even though I didn't put much effort into it. I think had I watched my consumption of treats and alcohol I would have shrunk in the waist and hips. Maybe next time Ill be motivated to dial in the nutrition.

I've made three changes for my third phase of BuiltStrong Minimalist:

1.) I have doubled the volume on all Heavy lifts (and I was already using the Tough schedule).

- I've found the volume on Heavy lifts to be way too low for me. As previously mentioned, the volume is "very low" according to StrongFirst principles.

- 8 total reps is now 15-16
- 10 total reps is now 20
- 12 total reps is now 24
- 15 total reps (the highest on the Tough schedule) is now 30

2.) I have switched Split Squats to Step Ups holding a Sandbag/Brute Ball in the Zercher hold.

3.) I'm wearing body armor (15lbs) during all exercises and workouts.

#2 and #3 are job specific training for something I'm currently doing.

The first two weeks are complete!

I've made three changes for my third phase of BuiltStrong Minimalist:

1.) I have doubled the volume on all Heavy lifts (and I was already using the Tough schedule).

- I've found the volume on Heavy lifts to be way too low for me. As previously mentioned, the volume is "very low" according to StrongFirst principles.

- 8 total reps is now 15-16
- 10 total reps is now 20
- 12 total reps is now 24
- 15 total reps (the highest on the Tough schedule) is now 30

2.) I have switched Split Squats to Step Ups holding a Sandbag/Brute Ball in the Zercher hold.

3.) I'm wearing body armor (15lbs) during all exercises and workouts.

#2 and #3 are job specific training for something I'm currently doing.

The first two weeks are complete!
NL 30 on heavy lifts seems really too high to me, bravo if you can pass over that hill. Requires a ton of recovery potential.

NL 30 on heavy lifts seems really too high to me, bravo if you can pass over that hill. Requires a ton of recovery potential.
I should be okay as I've done other StrongFirst plans and my own training sessions with higher volume. And 30 lifts is only once in 8 weeks.

Reactions: Ege
I finished a BTS3 run with deadlifts as a heavy pull. Here is my experience.

Setup :
- Pull: Deadlift (H), Chin Ups with a band (M), Barbell Rows (L)
- Push: Military Press (H), Bench Press (M), Double KB press (L)
- Squat: Back Squat (H), Zercher Squat (M), Double KB Front Squat (L)

Test results (only heavy exercises):
DL 120 Kg - 6 reps improved to 7 reps
Back Squat 110kg - 6 reps improved to 8 reps
Military Press 52,5kg - 6 reps improved to 8 reps

Body composition results - got bigger, especially quads and also chest. I was also eating way more and not 100% clean so some of it is fat for sure. Also added casein at night on training days which I've never done before in the name of IF, and I think that had an effect to make sure my overall protein intake was sufficient and spread out more evenly (otherwise I do 2 meals per day)

Other notes - Life got in the way, on week 5 I went on a business trip and got sick afterwards, so I didn't train for about 2 weeks there. I think that if this didn't happen, my results would have been better.

My 2 cents:
I really enjoyed the program, especially the diversity options in terms of exercises. My goal were more geared hypertrophy as opposed to strength, which I why I chose different exercise variations for each movement. During weeks 6 a7 the workouts got pretty long though, but it was sustainable.

Deadlifts:
I didn't want to stop deadlifting, so I included it as a heavy pull. I did enjoy doing them and given that deadlifts in general require less volume to progress than let's say presses, I wasn't too worried. The volume is pretty low, even on Tough schedule (which I ran for deadlifts). I improved anyway (6 to 7 reps), but I had the capacity for more volume and I think it would help (many weeks have reps in single digits or lower double digits per session).
At the time when I started the program, BTS4 and BTS6 were not available yet. I am still feeling a bit salty about that because BTS4 would have been more suitable for me. Nevertheless, if I ever ran BTS3 with deadlifts (and I might), I would be interested in comparing to the hinge prescription of BTS4. Or maybe running them as a medium exercise on a light schedule.

Presses:
Throughout the programme, I was thinking about something I heard somewhere (I think it was Geoff Neupert but not 100% sure) about how vertical pressing contributes to horizontal pressing but not the other way around. I think that is the case for me as well. For hypertrophy goals, I don't think it's really that important. But for strength it might be. So for my next run, I will probably decide on whether to prioritise horizontal or vertical pressing, and have both of my heavy and medium presses either horizontal or vertical.

What's next:
I'm going on another business trip for two weeks, so I'll have time to consider what's next. I still want to do some hypertrophy, so if there happens to be a promo on Built Strong Maximum, I'll get it and run that. If not probably BTS3 again based on the considerations above. Maybe AXE on off days away from deadlifts.

Setup :

Body composition results - got bigger, especially quads and also chest. I was also eating way more and not 100% clean so some of it is fat for sure. Also added casein at night on training days which I've never done before in the name of IF, and I think that had an effect to make sure my overall protein intake was sufficient and spread out more evenly (otherwise I do 2 meals per day)

Other notes - Life got in the way, on week 5 I went on a business trip and got sick afterwards, so I didn't train for about 2 weeks there. I think that if this didn't happen, my results would have been better.

My 2 cents:
I really enjoyed the program, especially the diversity options in terms of exercises. My goal were more geared hypertrophy as opposed to strength, which I why I chose different exercise variations for each movement. During weeks 6 a7 the workouts got pretty long though, but it was sustainable.

Deadlifts:
I didn't want to stop deadlifting, so I included it as a heavy pull. I did enjoy doing them and given that deadlifts in general require less volume to progress than let's say presses, I wasn't too worried. The volume is pretty low, even on Tough schedule (which I ran for deadlifts). I improved anyway (6 to 7 reps), but I had the capacity for more volume and I think it would help (many weeks have reps in single digits or lower double digits per session).
At the time when I started the program, BTS4 and BTS6 were not available yet. I am still feeling a bit salty about that because BTS4 would have been more suitable for me. Nevertheless, if I ever ran BTS3 with deadlifts (and I might), I would be interested in comparing to the hinge prescription of BTS4. Or maybe running them as a medium exercise on a light schedule.

Presses:
Throughout the programme, I was thinking about something I heard somewhere (I think it was Geoff Neupert but not 100% sure) about how vertical pressing contributes to horizontal pressing but not the other way around. I think that is the case for me as well. For hypertrophy goals, I don't think it's really that important. But for strength it might be. So for my next run, I will probably decide on whether to prioritise horizontal or vertical pressing, and have both of my heavy and medium presses either horizontal or vertical.

What's next:
I'm going on another business trip for two weeks, so I'll have time to consider what's next. I still want to do some hypertrophy, so if there happens to be a promo on Built Strong Maximum, I'll get it and run that. If not probably BTS3 again based on the considerations above. Maybe AXE on off days away from deadlifts.
Niiiiiccceee!

Good stuff and feedback.

I'll be testing again next week.

Setup :

My 2 cents:

Deadlifts:

Presses:

What's next:
Also I forgot to add this:
- medium exercises are the most impactful.
- smashing out a few sets of bicep curls on medium pull day and tricep extensions on medium press day went a long way to fill my sleeves a bit and didn't cost much time or energy. I aimed to get about 20-25 good reps which was usually around 3x8 or something, didn't overthink it much.

TEST WEEK!

I'm finishing my third BuiltStrong Minimalist phase with the changes noted above (wearing 15lbs of body armor for all workouts/exercises).

Although I selected the Minimal schedule for the Medium and Light exercises, I ended up doing more volume most weeks.

I did suffer a groin pull in week 6 that messed up my volume on one workout when it happened. Otherwise, I trained around it.

I also traveled out of town for weeks 4 and 6 but brought my 22kg kettlebells with me so I was still able to complete all workouts with minor changes (DKFS in place of Deadlifts) in the hotel gym.

Double Kettlebell Presses (22kg + 22kg)
Previous RM: 7
New RM: 8

Low-Bar Trap Bar Deadlifts
Previous RM: 7
New RM: 8

I'll test my weighted Pull-ups on Thursday.

I started with BW + 6kg during my first phase of training to BW + 8kg + 15lbs of body armor during this phase.

My Chin-ups improved A LOT. I went from 12RM @ BW during my first BuiltStrong Minimalist program to 13RM with 15lbs of body armor during this phase!

And this is the first time in at least 10 years that my biceps have grown AND my left biceps is now as big (or slightly bigger) than my right!!

Dips also went from a 15RM @ BW during my first phase to 15RM with 15lbs of body armor.

Step ups (for my Light leg exercise) on a 16" box with a 50lbs Sandbag (Brute Ball) held against my chest while wearing 15lbs of body armor was far more challenging than expected. However, it has provided crazy conditioning benefits!

LAST DAY OF MY 3RD BUILTSTRONG MINIMALIST CYCLE!

Weighted Pull-ups
Previous RM: 7 (BW + 12kg)
New RM: 7 (15lbs body armor + 8kg = 14.8kg)

I'm pleased with this!

Also, I tested my Double Kettlebell Presses the other day and did 24kg x 5.

My new 1-Arm Kettlebell Press is 24kg x 6 (previously it was 5 and didn't budge during my first two cycles of BuiltStrong Minimalist).

So this is good to see that it FINALLY increased despite not using the 24kg during any of my sessions during this phase. I was using 22kg for both Double Kettlebell Presses and 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses.

Also, these three cycles of BuiltStrong Minimalist helped me find the absolute BEST exercises for me that actually helped rehab my shoulders while going easy on my knees (arthritis).

I found that Overhead Kettlebell Presses and Chin-ups cured my shoulder issues 100%!

And the Chin-ups added size on my biceps for the first time in 10 years. Even my left biceps is now as big---if not bigger---than my right biceps!

Unfortunately, DB Floor Presses re-aggravate my shoulders. So I've had to take them out after my second cycle of BuiltStrong Minimalist.

However, pushups (and Dips/Weighted Dips) do NOT cause issues so they will remain in my programming.

I did lose 3 more pounds during this cycle, but I gained a couple back after my work travel trips (more carbs, less sleep).

However, this is the leanest I've been since I first gained weight at the end of 2020-2021. But I would need to lose 8-12lbs to be as shredded as I was from 2011-2020.

Overall, I still LOVE this program. I thought about doing a 4th cycle, but I'll be attending the Programming Demystified seminar (online) this weekend and want to see what new options I'll have.

My training has turned purely Tactical as I'm currently working in private security and also testing with law enforcement.

That's why I started training with body armor during all sessions and exercises.

I closed my in-person Fitness Coaching business and am only offering Online Coaching now to pursue a security/LEO career.

LAST DAY OF MY 3RD BUILTSTRONG MINIMALIST CYCLE!

Weighted Pull-ups
Previous RM: 7 (BW + 12kg)
New RM: 7 (15lbs body armor + 8kg = 14.8kg)

I'm pleased with this!

Also, I tested my Double Kettlebell Presses the other day and did 24kg x 5.

My new 1-Arm Kettlebell Press is 24kg x 6 (previously it was 5 and didn't budge during my first two cycles of BuiltStrong Minimalist).

So this is good to see that it FINALLY increased despite not using the 24kg during any of my sessions during this phase. I was using 22kg for both Double Kettlebell Presses and 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses.

Also, these three cycles of BuiltStrong Minimalist helped me find the absolute BEST exercises for me that actually helped rehab my shoulders while going easy on my knees (arthritis).

I found that Overhead Kettlebell Presses and Chin-ups cured my shoulder issues 100%!

And the Chin-ups added size on my biceps for the first time in 10 years. Even my left biceps is now as big---if not bigger---than my right biceps!

Unfortunately, DB Floor Presses re-aggravate my shoulders. So I've had to take them out after my second cycle of BuiltStrong Minimalist.

However, pushups (and Dips/Weighted Dips) do NOT cause issues so they will remain in my programming.

I did lose 3 more pounds during this cycle, but I gained a couple back after my work travel trips (more carbs, less sleep).

However, this is the leanest I've been since I first gained weight at the end of 2020-2021. But I would need to lose 8-12lbs to be as shredded as I was from 2011-2020.

Overall, I still LOVE this program. I thought about doing a 4th cycle, but I'll be attending the Programming Demystified seminar (online) this weekend and want to see what new options I'll have.

My training has turned purely Tactical as I'm currently working in private security and also testing with law enforcement.

That's why I started training with body armor during all sessions and exercises.

I closed my in-person Fitness Coaching business and am only offering Online Coaching now to pursue a security/LEO career.
Good luck with the switch.

Well, I was really hoping to get a new training program from the Programming Demystified seminar (Tactical template).

Unfortunately, it didn't provide enough information on how to put together a Tactical program (and MatStrong and Always Be Ready only used a few elements of the Tactical template).

So, I've begun my 4th cycle of BuiltStrong Minimalist with updated numbers since my strength has increased.

Like previous cycles, I'm using the "Tough" schedule for all Heavy exercises, and I'm also using the Tough schedule for my Medium and Light Press and Pull movements.

I'm using the Minimal schedule for my Squats (arthritic knees) and the Regular schedule for my weighted Step-ups.

The Step-ups with body armor (15lbs) and a 50lbs Brute Ball on a 16" box were way harder than expected and had me breathing hard! I had to stick with lower rung ladders of 4-6 per leg!

My third cycle of BuiltStrong Minimalist really helped me dial things in for more Tactical training since I'm now working in the private security/law enforcement arena.

In fact, I was close to the best time set on a police obstacle course blowing away the nearest person (in their 20's) by 30 seconds!

And I know I could break the record if given another chance (I took a few obstacles a bit slower than I should have).

I also played with the prescribed volume (I used the Minimal schedule for the Medium and Light exercises while wearing 15lbs of body armor on ALL exercises).

I ended up doing more volume than the Minimal schedule most days but still followed the Delta 20 principle.

My NEW (4th) BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle looks like this:

DAY 1:
- Double Kettlebell Presses (Heavy)
- Double Kettlebell Front Squats (Medium)
- Weighted (body armor) Chin-ups (Light)

DAY 2:
- Low-bar Trap Bar Deadlifts (Heavy)
- 1-Arm Kettlebell Rows (Medium)
- Weighted (body armor) Dips

DAY 3:
- Weighted (BW + 16kg) Pull-ups
- 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses
- Weighted (body armor + 50lb Brute Ball) Step-ups

I found all of the above to work great for my Tactical goals.

I'm performing all sessions as a Circuit.

I've been playing with my rest breaks and how I set up my interval timer.

For example, during the first two Cycles, I performed everything pretty much EMOM as a Circuit (I set my interval timer for 30 seconds of work and 30 seconds of rest).

During my third cycle---because of the addition of body armor on ALL exercises---I took 60-90 seconds of rest between exercises (I set up my timer for 30 seconds of work and 60 seconds of rest).

For this Cycle, I have my interval timer set up for 30 seconds of work and 45 seconds of rest (45-60 seconds of rest between exercises).

Because of my erratic work schedule (I begin at 7-8am, work 8-12 hour days that change weekly), I've had to perform my sessions on weekends or very early in the morning. It sucks, but I adjusted to it quicker than I expected.

My sessions still only take 30-45 minutes after my 5.5 minute warm-up (same one since my first cycle).

I have finished the first week, and will update as I go!

Last edited:
My third cycle of BuiltStrong Minimalist really helped me dial things in for more Tactical training since I'm now working in the private security/law enforcement arena.
Awesome, congratulations! Which role did additional endurance training play for you?

Good luck with the current cycle.

Awesome, congratulations! Which role did additional endurance training play for you?

Good luck with the current cycle.
The Step-ups absolutely carried over to work capacity and helped me crush the obstacle course despite ZERO conditioning work in my training for the last few cycles of BuiltStrong Minimalist.

The only time I had some "conditioning" work was during my first cycle of BuiltStrong Minimalist when I was performing my Murph workouts 2x/week back in April/May.

Since then, I've pretty much only performed the BuiltStrong Minimalist workouts 3x/week.

I tried to implement Simple and Sinister 2x/week during my second cycle but that only lasted two weeks before I took it out (I needed the recovery days).

Back
Top Bottom