all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed My BuiltStrong Minimalist Experience!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Things were better when the internet first started. This is a pretty good place.

I've been using kettlebells since 2001! I had posted about it in the Testosterone forums way back then. :D

They're great for a variety of reasons, and rehab is one of them. It sucks that you were injured, but it's good to hear Swings help!

Yeah. I'm quite pleased and surprised by the results. I haven't had an increase in arm size in forever!

Losing fat while on a muscle gaining program was the icing on the cake. And I improved my RM's and strength too.

I'm hoping I'll see similar results in the next 8 weeks!
Totally agreed there man. It's so different now.

I've also used them on and off since funnily enough about 2001, I first bought one back then. Ive used them on and off since and have had a few spells where I have trained with kettlebells exclusively and always made Great progress, they are such a Great tool. Im really enjoying them again.

Your gains are impressive in such a short time, muscle gain and fat loss with strength gain is the holy grail.

Keep up the great work and I'm sure the next 8 weeks will be a good one.

I've also used them on and off since funnily enough about 2001, I first bought one back then. Ive used them on and off since and have had a few spells where I have trained with kettlebells exclusively and always made Great progress, they are such a Great tool. Im really enjoying them again.
Niiiiiccceee.

We're the OG's! :D

Oh yeah

I First bought Pavel's Russian Kettlebell challenge book then along with a Cast iron 16KG Eleiko brand Kettlebell that I still have to this day. It's still looking great 22 years later.
That's funny!

I bought a 16kg Dragondoor RKC kettlebell and the Russian Kettlebell Challenge book and VHS. A few months later, I bought a 24kg Dragondoor kettlebell. I still have them, and they're both in great condition after all these years!

That's funny!

I bought a 16kg Dragondoor RKC kettlebell and the Russian Kettlebell Challenge book and VHS. A few months later, I bought a 24kg Dragondoor kettlebell. I still have them, and they're both in great condition after all these years!
Whoa that's crazy similar to me then lol. My RKC book got water damaged a few years back and I had to throw it out unfortunately but Ive read it so many time so can picture the whole book in my head.

That is fantastic that they are still in Great condition. Good Kettlebells do last forever.

Whoa that's crazy similar to me then lol. My RKC book got water damaged a few years back and I had to throw it
NOOOOOOOOOO!

out unfortunately but Ive read it so many time so can picture the whole book in my head.
LOL! True.

That is fantastic that they are still in Great condition. Good Kettlebells do last forever.
Definitely! I have quite a collection now that will last longer than me.

MY NEW (2nd) BUILTSTRONG MINIMALIST 8-WEEK CYCLE!

I spent this past week testing my RM's and going through the same workouts I'll be performing for my new 8-week BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle.

Workouts were performed at higher volume to get a good feel of everything and make sure I chose the right exercises, weights, and RM's (I had to make a few tweaks).

Just like my first BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle, I will be performing the "Tough" schedule for all of my Heavy exercises as I can handle a higher volume of heavy lifts.

However, I will be using the "Regular" schedule for my Medium and Light exercises for this cycle.

I had a high-volume of work during my first 8-week BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle with the Tough schedule and Murph Challenge training. I've also chosen some harder and heavier exercises for this new cycle, so I'm backing off slightly on the volume.

I changed some exercises around including the addition of Barbell Deadlifts in place of the Heavy squat day as my knees (arthritis) just cannot take squatting 3x/week (the last cycle killed me). I am also going to perform Split Squats instead of Bulgarian Split Squats as they are easier on my knees and groin. I'm focusing on 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses for all of my Pressing movements, and I decided on Renegade Rows for one of my pulling days along with weighted pull-ups (heavier than last time) and chin-ups.

My new weekly schedule and exercise choices look like this:

Mon:
BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses / Medium: DKBFS / Light: Chin-ups)

Tues: Simple & Sinister (EMOM) - 20 minute session

Wed: BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: Barbell Deadlifts / Medium: Renegade Rows / Light: 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses)

Thurs: Simple & Sinister (EMOM) - 20 minute session

Fri: BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: Weighted Pull-ups / Medium: 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses / Light: Split Squats)

Sat: A+A Snatches (or whatever else I feel like doing)

Sun: Off

I'm performing my 5.5 minute warm-up prior to all sessions (including S&S):

Just like before, I'll be performing all BuiltStrong Minimalist sessions as a Circuit following the EMOM approach and taking an extra 30-60 seconds of rest when needed. I also add warm-up sets as needed on Heavy and Medium exercises as part of the Circuit (this also helps even out some of the rounds/sets).

My goals are to continue losing fat while increasing strength and maybe gaining some more muscle. I put a focus on 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses during this cycle as I have been as close as 1kg away from a half body-weight 1-Arm Press, and I would really like to be able to do that.

Unfortunately, I'm heavier now, so that means I'll have to get up to 32kg when I just recently (last week) managed to do 30kg (which was half my body-weight and a little over before).

As far as diet goes, I've had to increase my calories and carbs as I wrecked my metabolism after 10+ years of staying super lean and eating a low-calorie, high-protein, low-carb diet. So I'm eating a lot more carbs than I have in more than 13 years (this is also what led to my weight loss during my previous BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle).

I'll make some progress posts during the next 8 weeks and any tweaks I need to make along the way.

Last edited:

I spent this past week testing my RM's and going through the same workouts I'll be performing for my new 8-week BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle.

Workouts were performed at higher volume to get a good feel of everything and make sure I chose the right exercises, weights, and RM's (I had to make a few tweaks).

Just like my first BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle, I will be performing the "Tough" schedule for all of my Heavy exercises as I can handle a higher volume of heavy lifts.

However, I will be using the "Regular" schedule for my Medium and Light exercises for this cycle.

I had a high-volume of work during my first 8-week BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle with the Tough schedule and Murph Challenge training. I've also chosen some harder and heavier exercises for this new cycle, so I'm backing off slightly on the volume.

I changed some exercises around including the addition of Barbell Deadlifts in place of the Heavy squat day as my knees (arthritis) just cannot take squatting 3x/week (the last cycle killed me). I am also going to perform Split Squats instead of Bulgarian Split Squats as they are easier on my knees and groin. I'm focusing on 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses for all of my Pressing movements, and I decided on Renegade Rows for one of my pulling days along with weighted pull-ups (heavier than last time) and chin-ups.

Mon:
BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses / Medium: DKBFS / Light: Chin-ups)

Wed: BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: Barbell Deadlifts / Medium: Renegade Rows / Light: 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses)

Fri: BuiltStrong Minimalist (Heavy: Weighted Pull-ups / Medium: 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses / Light: Split Squats)

Just like before, I'll be performing all BuiltStrong Minimalist sessions as a Circuit following the EMOM approach and taking an extra 30-60 seconds of rest when needed. I also add warm-up sets as needed on Heavy and Medium exercises as part of the Circuit (this also helps even out some of the rounds/sets).

My goals are to continue losing fat while increasing strength and maybe gaining some more muscle. I put a focus on 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses during this cycle as I have been as close as 1kg away from a half body-weight 1-Arm Press, and I would really like to be able to do that.

Unfortunately, I'm heavier now, so that means I'll have to get up to 32kg when I just recently (last week) managed to do 30kg (which was half my body-weight and a little over before).

As far as diet goes, I've had to increase my calories and carbs as I wrecked my metabolism after 10+ years of staying super lean and eating a low-calorie, high-protein, low-carb diet. So I'm eating a lot more carbs than I have in more than 13 years (this is also what led to my weight loss during my previous BuiltStrong Minimalist cycle).

I'll make some progress posts during the next 8 weeks and any tweaks I need to make along the way.

When you say
Simple & Sinister (EMOM) - 20 minute session
Do you mean 10' EMOM swings then the TGU EMOM?
How heavy do you go on these? A bell or two below max?

Do you mean 10' EMOM swings then the TGU EMOM?
Correct!

10 1-Arm Swings EMOM for 10 minutes/rounds

Rest 1-minute, then:

1 Get-up per side EMOM for 10 minutes/rounds

How heavy do you go on these? A bell or two below max?
I'm using 24kg for 1-Arm Swings as that's heavy for me (grip is always my issue). The most I've done is 28kg.

I'm starting with 24kg on Get-ups for a couple weeks, then 28kg, and then I'll move up to 32kg (that used to be my normal working weight and 36kg is the most I've used for S&S).

Correct!

10 1-Arm Swings EMOM for 10 minutes/rounds

Rest 1-minute, then:

1 Get-up per side EMOM for 10 minutes/rounds

I'm using 24kg for 1-Arm Swings as that's heavy for me (grip is always my issue). The most I've done is 28kg.

I'm starting with 24kg on Get-ups for a couple weeks, then 28kg, and then I'll move up to 32kg (that used to be my normal working weight and 36kg is the most I've used for S&S).
Sounds good.
More focus on the TGU I suppose density wise.
I've not thought to programme it like that between other 3 day programmes.

Sounds good.
More focus on the TGU I suppose density wise.
It's the same way it's programmed in S&S, I just need a few weeks to ramp up to what would be my normal working weight. ;)

I've not thought to programme it like that between other 3 day programmes.
S&S works best this way in my opinion. It's simple, easy, short, and even helps with recovery while still providing strength and conditioning benefits.

SATURDAY SESSION: A+A-style KB Snatches!

1-Arm Kettlebell Snatches
- 5 Reps EMOM
- 20 minutes/rounds (100 snatches)
- 20kg (my SFG weight)

This felt nice and easy just as I hoped it would.

Rather than increasing time each week, I'm going to add a rep (6, 7, 8, 9, 10) each week unless I need to stay at a particular rep for an additional week.

Then, I'll start over at 5 reps but do both arms each minute (5/5, 6/6, 7/7, etc.).

Mon:

Sounds great! Personally, I would rather do S&S timeless. But you seem to have great work capacity and to recover well. When weeks get tough (week 3 lower body, week 6 all lifts), will you attempt to keep S&S the same, skip it, or deload it?

Sounds great! Personally, I would rather do S&S timeless. But you seem to have great work capacity and to recover well. When weeks get tough (week 3 lower body, week 6 all lifts), will you attempt to keep S&S the same, skip it, or deload it?
I'll keep it the same!

It's easy enough and short enough to not affect my BuiltStrong training.

Mon:

Great warm-up session, @renegadenate!

That's cool that you were recognized from another place long ago on the internet. Good spotting, @Washed up Meathead!

UPDATE!

Week 6 of my second phase of BuiltStrong Minimalist is complete!

So far, I'm down two more pounds.

After week 2, I stopped performing S&S on two of my off days. I quickly realized that the Get-ups were killing my left elbow (tendonitis issues). I also stopped snatching on Saturdays.

So I have only performed BuiltStrong Minimalist 3x/week.

It's going great, and I'll post my final results after the Test Week.

I'm already planning my third time through BuiltStrong Minimalist with a few exercise changes.

I agree with this. Keep the goal, the goal. If your focus is on BuiltStrong, anything else should be easy IMO. S&S Timeless you would have same volume, spread out more. If doing S&S on Tue and Thu, then A+A on Sat, I'd change to alternating S&S Timeless and A+A snatches.
Week 1 - Tue S&S, Thu A+A, Sat S&S, Week 2 - Tue A+A, Thu S&S, Sat A+A

After week 2, I stopped performing S&S on two of my off days. I quickly realized that the Get-ups were killing my left elbow (tendonitis issues). I also stopped snatching on Saturdays.
If you wanted to keep the ballistics, did you consider 2HS with a heavy KB? These do not typically hurt my elbow. 7 reps EMOM x 15 mins. Do that twice a week, Tue and Sat. Thursday rest.

If you wanted to keep the ballistics, did you consider 2HS with a heavy KB? These do not typically hurt my elbow. 7 reps EMOM x 15 mins. Do that twice a week, Tue and Sat. Thursday rest.
I was thinking about doing that. I may try it with my third phase through.

Back
Top Bottom