all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Quest for New Year’s Weight Loss with HIRT

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have a stupid question.

Is this Conditioning work you refer to a book? Article?

I have a competition meet coming up later in the year and will have to weigh in and make weight. Anything that can help with the double whammy of peaking lifts and making weight at the same time in the final few weeks before the meet would be helpful.

I like to think no such thing as stupid questions on this forum - that's why I posted here anyways.

If you go to the original post, I posted the links to Dr. Craig Marker's articles he posted on Breaking Muscle.

I'll post my progress in my training log later this week, but so far I'm seeing some results around my waist and in my shoulders. I can't wait to see what doing the full six weeks will yield.

I like to think no such thing as stupid questions on this forum - that's why I posted here anyways.

If you go to the original post, I posted the links to Dr. Craig Marker's articles he posted on Breaking Muscle.

I'll post my progress in my training log later this week, but so far I'm seeing some results around my waist and in my shoulders. I can't wait to see what doing the full six weeks will yield.

Thanks so much!

It seems like the one could basically add the time element to S&So get the conditioning component the article mentions for the KB swings.

Then TGUs become part of other weightlifting?

I’m trying to figure out how I’d work this into my current plan of barbell lifting 2x a week (squat variations, pull/DL variations, accessories), KB 2x a week, and yoga/Bodyweight 2x a week...

Thanks so much!

It seems like the one could basically add the time element to S&So get the conditioning component the article mentions for the KB swings.

Then TGUs become part of other weightlifting?

I’m trying to figure out how I’d work this into my current plan of barbell lifting 2x a week (squat variations, pull/DL variations, accessories), KB 2x a week, and yoga/Bodyweight 2x a week...

I suppose you could just pick one of the plans and sprinkle it in.

Dr. Marker's Conditioning program of 10 swings EMOM (15 seconds work/45 seconds rest) up to 30 minutes is an awesome conditioning workout/fat burner. I will probably keep that in my repertoire after this competition ends. You could probably do that in the mornings on some days and get some results around the waist.

@brandonc501 Thanks to you and others for the kind words. I am excited to hear the results.

Al Ciampa's work is also a great way to build conditioning. The hybrid conditioning program is based a lot on his work.

Great comments on diet. It can really change the results. I have been playing with different fasting protocols as I am working on some research on autophagy (articles and podcasts are coming on the topic).

I think some people are primed for the HIRT for hypertrophy program as you likely need an adequate aerobic base.

You just made my day, Doc! Now I HAVE to finish my program! I don't know if anything could maybe be feel more accountable to finish after this - which is great!

Thanks a million for your easy-to-digest, science based articles. I've scoured the web for a program that I hope would fit my needs and goals and strengths, and so far you speak to me the most.

I will definitely post my results and - just for you - some before and after pics!

@brandonc501 Thanks to you and others for the kind words. I am excited to hear the results.

Al Ciampa's work is also a great way to build conditioning. The hybrid conditioning program is based a lot on his work.

Great comments on diet. It can really change the results. I have been playing with different fasting protocols as I am working on some research on autophagy (articles and podcasts are coming on the topic).

I think some people are primed for the HIRT for hypertrophy program as you likely need an adequate aerobic base.

What sort of programming would you recommend if mixing hybrid conditioning with off season Oly lifting strength training (squat variations, DL and pull variations, light overhead work) 2x a week (I’m old, can’t lift hard 3-4x a week anymore and still recover)?

My next competition isn’t until November so won’t start doing large volumes of explosive lifts until June or July (for now I just GTG a little every 2 weeks or so).

So I’ve got 4-5 months to work on conditioning and/or possibly drop a weight class (now that the IWF reset the weight classes in 2018).

Training log to date:
upload_2019-1-25_8-41-16.png

I'll note that I had to swallow some pride and lower my KB working weights from what I originally anticipated. To keep form and power maximal, I have brought my KB swing weight from Craig's Hypertrophy plan down to 40kg (which is still within his original recommendations from the article, but humbling to move down). I can do swings with the 44kg, but from deteriorates by third round.

In the Hypertrophy plan, I haven't been able to do any presses with the 40kg like a previously anticipated either. The calorie restriction I'm going thru with my diet has made throwing in the heavy presses unattainable. I could go press my 40kg on its own, but, no, not thrown in to the middle of other swings and presses. Humbling, but now some results:

Since Wednesday, January 16, I'm down 3 pounds. On average, that's a loss of just under 1200 calories a day over 9 days. I'm positive that loss is in line with diet just as much as with the exercise - not that I have been 100% perfect with diet.

I am already seeing some toning around my shoulders, upper arms, and ribs. My posture from my swings has improved noticeably. It wasn't bad to begin with, but I'm walking around straight as a rail.

I have had a few people tell me it looks like I've lost weight already, so I'm thinking that I'm losing some pounds and experiencing the body comp changes. Still early in the game, but it looks like we're off to a good start.

Nice Job!

With $400 on the line it reminds me of last time, I did weight loss bet. The day of the final weigh-in was hell. I had very little to eat and almost nothing to drink for about 24 hours. I also spend a lot of time on bike and sauna to lose any extra water weight before the weigh-in. I remember feeling pretty bad and was insanely thirsty but I won the bet by 1-2 pounds so it paid off :)

I'll note that I had to swallow some pride and lower my KB working weights from what I originally anticipated.
I think that's to be expected, with the amount of volume you're doing and the caloric restriction. I don't think I've met someone yet who doesn't regularly over-estimate themselves just a little when planing new cycles (myself definitely included). I suppose that's why most of the really successful folks have coaches ;). Nice work, keep it up!

Time for a genuine inwinqu for advice from the Strongfirst community:

First, the good news: In the past 3-ish weeks, I have lost a few pounds, lowered my blood pressure by 4 points, and list an inch off my waist. I've also experienced don't nice body comp changes: the waist, definition around biceps and upper chest, and definitely thicker wrists.

The not great news: I'm not losing weight nearly at the rate I intended, which I could normally live with just fine (I AM pleased with my results), but I'm not set to win this weight loss competition.

The race isn't over yet, however. I have all of February left to come in for the kill and $400 cash and bragging rights.

Anyone have any thoughts? Should I keep doing what I'm doing and cross my fingers? Should I switch to just swings? Should I increase swing weight from 24kg to 32kg?

Should I change up diet? I don't want to lose muscle, so I'm iffy to try anything that compromises protein.

Or, realistically, am I on the right path for a victory that gets me everything I want in the end.... but just not winning this competition?

Should I change up diet? I don't want to lose muscle, so I'm iffy to try anything that compromises protein.

I think you've got contradictory goals, TBH -- winning at all costs would include losing some muscle, too.

Body recomp isn't as fast as just losing fat + muscle.

Personally, I would shoot for your long term health goals. If you happen to win the competition, great.

Is losing muscle and potentially screwing up your metabolism really worth $400?

Depends on what is most important to you?

That isn't to say if you stay the course and lose some more you might get nice recomp+$400. In my bet most of the people just beat themselves and quit. In the end, it really came down to just me and one other guy.

I have also found pounds on the scale to come off a little unevenly for whatever reason(s) so it is hard to predict.

I tried the potato hack in December. You're supposed to eat only potatos for 3 days a week. I made it 2 and a half days and I said the hell with this. It turned into a regular fast because you can't even look at a potato after the first day. It may work for some but not me.

I did finally get my diet back on track in early January. I'm now using the slow carb diet made famous by Tim Ferriss as far as food content. I try to get 170 to 200 grams of protein a day and the I try to split the remaining calories between the fat and protein. MyFitnessPal is a free app that works great for tracking. I'm also keeping my calories at about 2100 a day. Do a google search for TDEE calculator at muscle for life. Michael Matthews has a calculator to determine calories to use when you are cutting. Michael Matthews stuff is legit even though he offers hybrid strength/ asthetics type programs

Good Luck!

I tried the potato hack in December. You're supposed to eat only potatos for 3 days a week. I made it 2 and a half days and I said the hell with this. It turned into a regular fast because you can't even look at a potato after the first day. It may work for some but not me.

I did finally get my diet back on track in early January. I'm now using the slow carb diet made famous by Tim Ferriss as far as food content. I try to get 170 to 200 grams of protein a day and the I try to split the remaining calories between the fat and protein. MyFitnessPal is a free app that works great for tracking. I'm also keeping my calories at about 2100 a day. Do a google search for TDEE calculator at muscle for life. Michael Matthews has a calculator to determine calories to use when you are cutting. Michael Matthews stuff is legit even though he offers hybrid strength/ asthetics type programs

Good Luck!

That's almost exactly what I'm doing, with results I'm proud of. But yeah, a little more slowly than I set out for. I agree, Mr. Matthews had some pretty solid work.

Since you repeat that maximum weight loss under time pressure is the primary goal, there it is.

Many ways it can be done.

Not generally recommended for times of intense training, but you can do it intermittently. Try it for two days to see if you can tolerate it. If you can, try doing it for 2-3 days a week. Make one of those days your rest and recovery day. Eat normally the rest of the week.

It’s not for everyone, but it’s produced great results for lots of folks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom