StrongFirst Podcast Episode #19
StrongFirst Master Instructor Peter Lakatos from Budapest, Hungary talks with your host Dr. Craig Marker about training that relates to hormesis. He discusses training related to Buteyko breathing, blood flow restriction, HRV training, fasting, and red light therapy.
01:35 — Peter talks about handball and his background in powerlifting.
03:08 — What handball entails and what the teams and court look like.
04:18 — What training of high-level handball athletes requires.
05:25 — Explanations of training people using different HRV profiles to address weaknesses.
12:00 — What you should do for training if you’re not comfortable with something.
16:04 — The lab equipment Peter uses to measure sleep quality, heart rate and the most important things to measure.
18:40 — Why breathing is so important.
22:05 — Tips for learning how to breathe better.
25:53 — What Kaatsu or occlusion training is and its origins.
36:50 — The mTor activation cycle and fasting.
39:40 — Peter explains Ground Force Method.
42:27 — What is red light therapy and what’s the academic research behind it.
- Trainers should use testing to figure out what’s needed.
- Doing breathing the wrong way will disorient the breathing center in your brain.
- Science has proved that fasting is good for you.
- “Checking readiness is everything, through testing we can figure out the missing component.” — Peter Lakatos
- “Breathing is conscious, but also subconscious, you need to have a way to monitor it.” — Peter Lakatos
- “More breathing does not mean more oxygen.” — Peter Lakatos
Atlanta SFG I Certification
Joov Red Light
Advanced Buteyko Breathing Exercises (Buteyko Method Book 2)
The Oxygen Advantage: The Simple, Scientifically Proven Breathing Techniques for a Healthier, Slimmer, Faster, and Fitter You
Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) Training Therapy Occlusion Restriction Cuffs with mmHg Monitor and Pump
Ground Force Method